Phylagen is seeking a Laboratory Scientist with experience in qPCR, assay design and production workflows. This position is key in ensuring that we are able to run assays accurately and report results to customers within promised timelines. Reporting to our Data Science and R&D Manager, you will develop assays for products and internal research, develop sample-prep methods for new sample types and participate in sample processing. You will be involved with the daily operations of the lab as well as development for new products and partnerships. Assay development tasks will include qPCR and amplicon sequencing, and will be tightly integrated with our data science, bioinformatics, and process engineering teams.
Phylagen arms organizations with the power of environmental genomics and data to answer critical traceability and safety questions that build trust and confidence, particularly during times of uncertainty. Through monitoring the environmental microbiome, we unlock the genetics of things that appear on every surface on the planet enabling organizations to better protect and serve people, before, during and after a crisis.
From pandemic outbreaks to supply chain disruptions, unauthorized outsourcing, forced labor, brand counterfeiting, and more, Phylagen’s microbial monitoring—coupled with advanced machine learning—provides crucial insights that have been hidden until now.
Phylagen works in a broad range of settings, including manufacturing, distribution center, office, hospitality, retail, education and transportation settings, all united in their need to achieve increased levels of transparency. Understanding indoor environment quality, and monitoring the microbiome in buildings and throughout supply chains, can assure surface cleanliness, customer and worker safety, and even brand and labeling fidelity. For more information visit www.phylagen.com.
- Work with our Data Science and Lab Teams to create multiplexed qPCR and amplicon sequencing assays for environmental samples
- Integrate newly developed assays into the production process in collaboration with our lab operations and process engineering team
- Evolve our sample-prep processes to support new assay targets and meet product requirements
- Develop protocols to monitor multiplex lab system performance through time
- Support daily lab operations as needed in times of high sample volume or staff shortages
- Execute manufacturing process optimization
- Design R&D experiments using a variety of equipment and instrumentation
- Manage the company’s technical efforts in gaining any third party certifications
- Prepare new and update existing procedures
- Demonstrate good cross-functional working relationships with other teams
- Demonstrate good flexibility with changes to working environment while delivering high quality results
- Compile and analyze data, and compose reports as required
- Perform troubleshooting relating to result integrity and sample processing issues
- Efficiently and effectively communicate detailed results from the lab bench
- At least 5 years of experience designing and running qPCR assays in an R&D or production environment
- Experience in process development, validations, and scaling
- Deep understanding of nucleic acid sample-prep fundamentals including mechanical, enzymatic, and chemical lysis techniques
- Demonstrated ability for problem solving skills, scientific creativity, and collaboration with other departments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including writing of scientific and technical reports and presentations
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a related discipline
- Prior experience writing SOPs for production lab processes, such as instrument calibration, design of experiment controls or standards
- Experience in a GxP compliant industry
Phylagen is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Information Technology