Phylagen Surface™ SARS-CoV-2 is for businesses who want to know whether SARS-CoV-2 virus is present in their facilities and use that information to protect their employees and customers. From offices and universities preparing to reopen, to distribution centers working to operate through the pandemic safely - Phylagen Surface is for anyone who wants to understand if cleaning and disinfection is removing the virus, or where the virus is present in order to take additional operational and safety precautions.For example Phylagen Surface™ SARS-CoV-2 can be used to:
- Prepare to reopen a closed office, campus, facility or store
- Detect COVID-19 outbreaks quickly even if cases are pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic
- Evaluate cleaning protocols (including cleaning team performance)
- Ensure safety and confidence to return following a known COVID-19 case
- Assess the safety of operations specific to particular businesses
- Foster employee and customer confidence
No. Phylagen Surface™ was not designed to test humans, and therefore has not been evaluated or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for human subjects.
Phylagen Surface™ will identify the presence or absence of SARS-CoV-2 virus on sampled surfaces. Phylagen Surface includes an app to track where you have sampled to enable making decisions to keep your employees and customers safe and active once you receive your results.
- Discovered areas that appear to be cleaned effectively, where the virus was present before cleaning and absent after cleaning.
- Identified hard to reach spots (e.g. at the top of a vending machine) that tested positive for presence of the virus, indicating that aerosolized virus is being dispersed within the building by diffusion and air turbulence.
- Revealed areas that persons who recently tested positive for COVID-19 had frequently touched or come into repeated contact with.
- Distinguished between otherwise identical built environments, where one was occupied by a person infected with SARS-CoV-2 and the other was not.
Yes. We can help you develop a test plan that will suit your organization and facility. For example, we recommend repeating test points after a positive identification of the virus to ensure that the virus has been successfully disinfected. After you purchase the test, you can schedule a consultation with one of our Phylagen specialists, who will assist you with the design of your testing strategy.
Phylagen Surface™ for SARS-CoV-2 incorporates CDC designed assays into Phylagen’s pre-existing and proven technology platform for characterizing DNA and RNA on surfaces. (The CDC assays are DNA sequences that have been shown to uniquely identify SARS-CoV-2 with high sensitivity and specificity.) More information about the technology behind Phylagen Surface is available in our validation whitepaper.
- Phylagen Surface™ is simple to perform and anyone can be quickly trained to perform it.
- Briefly, you dip each swab in a solution, swab it across a surface, deposit it into a containment tube, and ship it back to Phylagen’s lab using provided shipping materials for analysis.
- Our Phylagen Surface™ smartphone app (for iPhone or Android) guides you through the process of recording basic data (e.g. location, surface type), reading a barcode on the tube, and taking a photo to allow you to map the results back to a specific location.
- You will receive the results through a secure web portal.
Yes. We control for false negatives and positives.
Once the samples arrive at Phylagen’s lab, your results will be available through our secure web portal in 24 hours. Just navigate to where you purchased your kits, log in with your account information, and you’ll see your results.
In the event that SARS-CoV-2 is present in the environment, being present in that specific environment may carry some risk. A person collecting surface samples who is wearing gloves (provided in the kit) and a mask, and who is following the provided sampling instructions, would likely incur a similar risk to others present in the environment.
- The wetting solution applied to the swab completely inactivates the virus. The return packaging is designed to minimize any risk of spillage.
- Our lab is a certified biosafety level two (BSL-2) laboratory equipped to handle agents associated with certain human diseases (i.e. pathogenic or infectious organisms), including SARS-CoV-2.
Phylagen Surface kits expire six months from the date of purchase. Phylagen will not process samples from expired kits.
If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area and would like to expedite obtaining your results you can prearrange to drop the samples at Phylagen rather than use a courier. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a drop-off.